Words fail us at the sheer number of these copycats out there. And more are churned out every week.
So… What’s the formula for chick lit with a contemporary urban twist?
1. Add a knocked-back cityscape for instant escapism.
2. Make sure your title is in scribbly writing, to make it all feel a lot more personal.
3. Sprinkle liberally with a shower of pretty things — snowflakes, hearts, butterflies, fireworks — tumbling gently from the sky.
4. If you want to add a sense of daring abandon, bung on a twirling woman.
5. Oh, and of course… colour the whole thing purple like everyone else’s jackets. You wouldn’t want to stand out on the shelf now, would you?